Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Thanks to the library

I have another job interview today, and I really hope I get it. Though I will have plenty to keep me busy once we move into our new house and get a dog, I get quite bored right now. I've made good use of the library by checking out books and DVD's that I now have plenty of time to read and watch.

After falling in love with Anne of Green Gables, I checked out Anne of Avonlea and Anne of the Island. L.M. Montgomery writes delightfully enchanting stories filled with fascinating and well-described characters. Anne Shirley will forever be one of my favorite heroines of literature.

Though I had previoulsy been daunted by the fact that The Story of Edgar Sawtelle is 500+ pages, I wanted to read it and figured now was the time. The story was rich in detail and character development. A beautiful coming-of-age American tale, Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski is enriching and enjoyable.

Now I'm reading Consider the Lobster by David Foster Wallace and Cesar's Way by Cesar Millan.

I tried watching The Caberet and Blazing Saddles, but didn't finish either of them. I wasn't a big fan. I did enjoy Sophie's Choice, To Catch a Thief, and Billy Elliot though. Watching last year's Academy Awards, I realized I had only seen two or three of Meryl Streep's movies (Mamma Mia! and The Devil Wears Prada). I wanted to see what many consider to be her best role ever, and I also like seeing movies or reading books that are frequently referenced, hence Sophie's Choice. And it was a really terrific performance. To Catch a Thief is an Alfred Hitchcock film starring Cary Grant and Grace Kelly. As far as classics go, I really liked it. There are some classics that I just don't get (Citizen Kane?), but this one was good. Billy Elliot I watched because a friend kept telling me that I should. There wasn't nearly as much ballet as I thought there would be. Instead, the story was much more about Billy's family, relationships, and life struggles. I would also recommend it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know a classic movie I don't get? Dr. Zhivago. So boring. Weird. Depressing. Same thing with Lawrence of Arabia. I just don't get some of them. Maybe I'm too dumb to get it...