Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Big Proposal

The long awaited event has finally occurred! Michael, my boyfriend of four and a half years, proposed to me on Friday night, July 18, 2008. He's spending the summer in Columbus, OH for his internship with Nationwide, so I flew in to visit for the weekend. He picked me up from the airport, and we went straight to Handke's for dinner. I knew we were going, so I dressed appropriately.
Michael told me it was a really nice restaurant run by one of the Certified Master Chefs in the world. Also, they have a creme brulee that has been voted best in the country. (Creme Brulee is one of our favorite desserts :-) It was a wonderful dinner. We started with lobster bisque and a cold potato and leek soup. Michael ordered "Duck Three Ways, 'Bocuse D’or' Sautéed Duck Breast, Confit of Duck Leg & Duck Sausage, Sauerkraut, & Chive Potato Mousseline," and I got one of the specials- Chilean Sea Bass with mushrooms, snow peas, baby carrots, and rice pilaf. For dessert we ordered the Dessert Symphony, which included samples of Brown Sugar Crème Brûlée with Seasonal Berries, Dark Chocolate Terrine, Raspberry & Passion Fruit Sauce, New York Style Cheesecake, Marinated Seasonal Berries in Almond Lace Cookie Basket, Sauce Anglaise, and Apple Strudel with Cinnamon Ice Cream. So yummy!!

When we arrived back at Michael's apartment, he told me the place was really messy and I should wait outside while he cleaned up a bit. I thought this was kind of weird because he has never cared too much about his mess in front of me and the housekeeping person comes every two weeks so it couldn't be that bad. I slightly suspected something, but because I have slightly suspected something several times before, I figured I was wrong again. When he let me in, he led me in to a room that could be a den but is unfurnished. He had set it up with a sheet on the floor and tea lights and roses bordering it. There was a chair in the center with cushions in front. He led me to the chair and knelt down on one knee on the cushion. Gavin DeGraw's "We Belong Together" was playing in the background. Michael had made a whole play list for the event that included "Your Song," "Collide," "The Luckiest," "Still," "I'll Be," "Back at One," "More Than Words," "More Than Anyone," "Better Together," "All for You," and "Sea Breeze."
I'm sure that Michael said something wonderful, but it's all a bit of a blur. It definitely included how much he loves me, how great he thinks we are together, and how he wants to spend the rest of his life with me. He pulled out a ring that I think is beautiful and just what I wanted. And of course, I said yes :-)

After I accepted, I knelt down on the other cushion, and Michael prayed over us for our relationship and our future together. I started to cry just a little. Finally, we sat down and watched a short slide show he had made featuring pictures of us over the last several years. It was amazing, and I still kind of can't believe we're finally engaged. I keep looking down at the ring on my finger to admire it, and we're having fun calling each other fiancé and fiancée or future wife and future husband. I even threw in a Mr. Amber and Mrs. Michael for good measure (a Friends reference for those of you not as obsessed as the rest :-).
I'm excited to start the planning process. We'll probably set up a wedding website soon through something like theknot.com, so I'll keep you updated. Thanks to everyone who has already wished us congratulations.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! He put a lot of thought into the proposal. Looks like you've found a great guy. :-)
~Angel

Anonymous said...

SOO SOO CUTE! I can't believe how perfectly suited to you it was. He must really know you well! A sign of a great marraige to come! I'm so happy for you. The ring is absolutely gorgeous. Good thing I watch Top Chef so I know what all of those things were you guys ate for dinner. I'll be checking back for more updates on what promises to be the wedding of the year (in whatever year it falls in).

MarcB said...

Congrats! thats so cool...