Saturday, July 26, 2008

Danger at work

This summer I've been working part time at Gap Body. For the most part, I enjoy it. At least it pays the rent, and every once in a while it affords me a decent work story to share with my roommates. Last week something happened that I thought not only makes a good story for the roomies, it would also be an entertaining blog post. As you can see in the picture, this is the cash wrap or register area of my store. Note the three lights hanging above the counter.I'm usually the only person working here, so I put back clothes that people try on, replenish with new merchandise, keep the store clean and organized, and occasionally ring customers up. Gap Body (bras, underwear, and lounge) connects to Women (jeans, pants, blouses, etc.), and that side of the store does more business so more people work that side, and that's where the managers usually are. So, last week I was ringing up a customer when we suddenly heard a loud popping sound. Being easily startled, I screamed slightly at the noise. Then we looked up at the light above us, which is where the noise came from. It was sparking and popping. Suddenly, a blue flame appeared and engulfed the light shade. When the flame stopped, there was a slight pause and then the light bulb fell from the socket and shattered on the counter top. I looked at the customer I was helping to make sure she was alright (she was), and then grabbed my radio. In a shaky voice, I said, "Manager to Body, manager to Body." I think they had heard my scream anyway, and then they could smell something burning, so a manager came over right away. I finished with the customer and cleaned up the glass while he took the other light bulbs out as a precaution. We still don't know what exactly caused the sudden light explosion, but it was the most exciting thing to happen that day, perhaps that week :-) I still like standing under the lights though because as I stand there and fold things, I stare at my ring and how it sparkles as it reflects the light. They've put in lower wattage bulbs in an effort to keep it from happening again; I should be safe.

1 comment:

MarcB said...

its always nice to have a little excitement at work!