Friday, June 26, 2009

Settling in

Michael and I have been in the apartment for two weeks now, with the exception of my brief return to Arizona to be Leah's maid of honor last weekend (which was fabulous btw). We're slowly getting the things we need and trying to refrain from buying things we don't. Our bedroom furniture arrives on Monday, and I'm very excited to get the mattress off the floor and put some clothes away in drawers. Our kitchen table is a folding card table and our "couch" is Mike's old twin mattress. I created end tables in the living room by throwing sheets over stacks of boxes containing all my books. We are looking for a house to buy, so we are waiting to invest in furniture that we know will fit in our new place. We will also save on the hassle of moving it. The apartment is nice though and feels like home, except for the fact that we are waging war on bat bugs. Thankfully, they are not bed bugs like we thought. We've had the Orkin guy come out twice, and he is quite hilarious about the process. He uses all kinds of phrases and words that evoke battle imagery. I'm lucky in that either the bugs are not biting me or I'm just not reacting to them. Michael, on the other hand, is covered all over with huge red spots. If I were living here alone, I probably would not have even realized I had a bug problem, but Mike's skin makes it look like we're surrounded.

Michael starts work on July 13th, and I'm still looking for a job. There don't seem to be any openings for teachers at the public schools anymore, so I've applied at a few charter schools. I've also applied for a few non-teaching positions I am qualified for at McGraw-Hill and DeVry University. I'll keep looking and see how it goes. I may end up subbing this year and applying for any job openings in the spring or next fall.

2 comments:

Ljenks01 said...

I will keep praying for the bugs and for a job. I'm very excited for your new life though and am so grateful to you for turning right around after your wedding to come out for mine. It wouldn't have been the same if you weren't there, just like everything else in my life.

Anonymous said...

Hooray for the first apartment together. That is hilarious. We had a crate covered in a table cloth for a while...