Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Biggest Loser Inspiration

I started watching The Biggest Loser this season with Michael. I had never really gotten into reality tv shows, but I'm finding it amazing how easy it is to get sucked in once you start. The thing about The Biggest Loser is that it simultaneously made me feel like a lazy couch potato and fortunate to not have 100+ extra pounds to lose. Last week's episode showed the final four contestants running a marathon. After 11 weeks at the ranch, these last four people went home for 60 days. They continued dieting and exercising, and at the end of the two months they had to run a full 26.2 mile marathon. As I watched two men and two women, who just five months ago were morbidly obese, run this race, I thought, "If they can do it, I can do it."

About four years ago I made two goals for myself: run a marathon by the time I was 28 and get a masters degree by the time I was 30. I'm 29 years old; I have the Masters, but I haven't run a marathon yet. For the past three years, I have made several attempts to start a training routine for a half marathon. I've run a few 5Ks and even a 10K, but that's the farthest I've gotten. I was disappointed in myself, but after watching The Biggest Loser, I decided to flip my deadlines. This gives me 374 days to finally achieve my goal to run a marathon. I'm hoping that by sharing this goal with others, it will motivate me to stay on track this time around.

No comments: