Friday, April 16, 2010

Not all things are made equal

Two years ago, when I was living in New York, the city became the first "in the country to implement a law forcing chain restaurants to post the calorie count of each food in the same size and font as the price"*. Based on that law, the new health care legislation includes a requirement for chains across the country to post calorie information on their menus and drive-through signs**. I completely support this particular aspect of the law. Sure, I can look up nutrition information online, as I did to get the numbers below. Nearly all restaurants post their food facts on their websites, but I like being able to see in the moment I'm about to order what it is I'm getting. One might think that a burger at one restaurant would be similar, nutritionally, to one at another restaurant. I had assumed that the new blended coffee beverages at McDonald's would be similar to Starbucks' Frappuccinos. I couldn't be more wrong. Out of curiosity, I did some comparing online and discovered the shocking differences between blended coffee beverages all over the place. Here are just a few examples:

Bruegger's Mocha Brueggaccino (16 oz.)
640 calories
29 g of fat
82 g of sugar
0% calcium (is there no milk in there?)

McDonald's Frappe Mocha (16 oz.)
560 calories (480 w/o whipped cream)
24 g of fat (18 w/o whipped cream)
70 g of sugar
25% calcium

Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino (16 oz.)
380 calories (260 w/o whipped cream)
15 g of fat (3.5 w/o whipped cream)
47 g of sugar
20% calcium

I could have TWO Starbucks drinks (w/o whipped cream) for fewer calories than either of the other two versions. Maybe some people prefer making uninformed decisions about what they put in their body. Ignorance is bliss and all that. Personally, I'm very much looking forward to calorie counts being posted as soon as possible.

*http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25464987
**http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/24/business/24menu.html

1 comment:

Tarrah said...

So interesting. Thanks for posting.