Monday, August 16, 2010

Going the distance... together

Michael and I are officially registered for the Columbus Marathon on October 17th. Though I haven't mentioned it in my blog for a while, I am still running. Our Asia trip took its toll on my training, but I had anticipated that. It was part of the reason I started training so early. I've been back on track the last few weeks and Michael has really picked up his training too. I really love that this is something we're doing together. Even though we don't run side by side, we are both committed to our own training plans and encourage each other through the process. We often adjust our schedules to make sure we each have time for runs during the week (whether outside or taking turns on the treadmill), and then we head out together for long runs on Saturdays. We really like the Olentangy trail because it is both lengthy and scenic. We start at the same place and each run at our own pace for half our goal distance then turn around and head back. We meet at the car to stretch and head home. It is definitely a bonding experience that I enjoy, and I'm looking forward to sharing race day with him.
In addition to the joy of running with my husband, completing this marathon will mean that I accomplished my goal of running one before I turn 30. Also, I'll be able to get one of these:


A few months ago I started noticing cars here and there with bumpers stickers that said "13.1." I don't know why I hadn't seen any before, but I figured they meant that the driver had completed at least one half-marathon, the distance of which is 13.1 miles. I immediately thought how cool it would be to get one myself someday. Then, I saw a car with a "26.2" sticker. I can't wait to get mine!

1 comment:

Ljenks01 said...

I can't wait for you to get one too!