Monday, August 23, 2010

Injuries

On Thursday morning, I woke up and my left ankle hurt slightly. It felt like I had slept on it wrong. As the day progressed, I continued to feel pain on and off, but I realized it was more the outside part of my foot that hurt. What was supposed to be a four mile run that evening turned into two miles as I wanted to take it easy. I hoped it would feel better by Saturday morning's long run, but as Friday night wore on and I could tell that certain movements still caused pain, I decided to try alternating heat and ice and prayed that God would make it better for my run.

On Saturday morning, I thought my foot felt good enough to head out with Michael to the trail. We ran the first six miles together, and then Mike turned around to head back as he was only planning a twelve mile run. I continued on another mile and still felt fine. At the halfway point, I paused to stretch a bit and rehydrate. One of the great things the last few weeks is that there have been drink stations at several points along the trail thanks to the Marathoners in Training group. Hopefully they don't mind that I sip their Gatorade too. Around mile eight on the way back, my foot started to hurt again. My knees were also aching, and for the last six miles I was in some degree of pain somewhere. I made it to the end though, thankfully.

When I got home and started my shower, the water hit me and I yelped. I looked down and noticed a big red line across my rib cage where the bottom of my sports bra had been. Apparently it had chafed me really badly, but I hadn't noticed until the hot water hit. That injury hurt the rest of the day, but has since healed enough that it does not bother me too much. I also looked up a diagram of foot muscles when I got home to try and figure out what might be wrong. I think it may be plantar fasciitis, but I'm not sure. What I am sure of is that I'm moving forward with training (and treatment), and that minor injuries along the way will be worth it when I cross the finish line.

No comments: