Sunday, January 16, 2011

I Will Never Be a Travel Writer, part 2

If you haven't already, you may want to check out Part 1 of our travels. Part 2 covers leaving Madrid, our time visiting family in Barcena, and San Sebastian.

Dec. 17 - After a quick breakfast at Starbucks where I bought my souvenir mugs, we head out of the city in our rental car with Dad driving the whole four hours to his family's town, Barcena del Bierzo in Galicia. Michael met just about everyone on my dad's side of the family. We visited a castle, took a long nap, and ate a late dinner (10pm may be normal for Spaniards but not us) to celebrate my birthday with the whole family. They fed us REALLY well and in great quantities.


Only the demitasses are souvenirs.
A - Barcena del Bierzo, where my abuela lives
One of Michael's favorite things he saw in Spain was the room where my grandma smokes and dries all her own pork.
 After my birthday dinner: Michael, me, Aunt Eva, her son Victor, her husband Roberto, and her daughter Maria (in front)

Alejandro, my cousin Cristina (his wife), Michael, me, my cousin Monica, their mom Rami, their dad Uncle Pablo

Aunt Pili, Michael, me, my cousin Jonny, my abuela, Pili's boyfriend

Carlos's girlfriend Teri, Michael, me, my cousin Roberto Carlos, his girlfriend Jenny, Uncle Carlos

My birthday mil hojas. Three cheers for turning 30 in Spain!
Dec. 18 - My official birthday! saw my cousin's new house, had lunch with the family, left in our rental car for San Sebastian, and arrived after dark. We successfully checked into our hotel in Spanish (no more Dad to translate as he stayed behind with his family), walked around the city, and found a decent but ordinary place for dinner.

Our Nissan Micra rental car. Good thing I still remember how to drive a manual!

Playa de la Concha, San Sebastian - just a few minutes walk from our hotel
Dec. 19 - a very laid-back day as San Sebastian is very small; we mostly walked around taking in the beautiful scenery of the beach and cobbled streets, hike up Mt. Urgull (very unfortunate that we forgot our camera for this), lunch at Bodegon Alejandro, more walking around enjoying the beautiful weather, pinxtos for dinner at Cuchara de Santelmo, churros and chocolate for dessert at Santa Lucia

View of Monte. Urgull with the statue of Jesus on top

Michael wanted to touch the Bay of Biscay

Monte. Urgull at sunset

Playa de la Concha at sunset

No comments: