Monday, May 23, 2011

I'm Still Here

Surprise, surprise... the world did not end on Saturday as predicted. Whether you heard about it on the news or through your Facebook newsfeed, I'm sure you were somewhat aware of the talk of the rapture occurring over the weekend. To be perfectly honest, I haven't studied much of what the Bible says about the end times. I know it says that Jesus will come back. 

  • "And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am" - John 14:3 
  • "'Men of Galilee,' they said, 'why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.'" - Acts 1:11
  • "so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him." - Hebrews 9:28
I also know it says that we will not know when this will happen.
  • "'But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come.'" - Mark 13:32-33
  • "Now, brothers and sisters, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night." 1 Thessalonians 5:1-2
I know that the details of the rapture are debated among Biblical scholars. There seems to be agreement that when Jesus does return, believers will be "caught up together" to meet Him in the clouds (1 Thessalonians 4:16-18). When this will happen in regards to the time of tribulation and apocalypse seems uncertain. Nevertheless, people are bent on trying to figure it out and predict it. So far, so wrong.

For me, it doesn't really matter one way or another. I don't think that as a follower of Christ I am called to figure it out. I think it is more important to spend my time doing the two things that Jesus said were the most important: loving God and loving others. I do hope and believe, however, that God will use all this talk about the Rapture to get people's attention. I hope it causes people to think about their relationship, or lack thereof, with our Creator. I hope that those of us who call ourselves Christian will help point people to the Cross and remind them that Jesus died for them because He loves them and wants them to be "caught up" to Heaven with Him one day. All it takes is a little faith.

3 comments:

Ljenks01 said...

I love and appreciate your wisdom and instruction. I am reminded constantly why God has put you in my life, I value your sound judgement and study of the Word.

Lizzi B. said...

And it even says in the Bible that NO ONE BUT GOD KNOWS WHEN IT WILL COME!! "It will come like a thief in the night..." (I have no idea what verse it is, just flew past it yesterday.

Lizzi B. said...

"For you know very well that the day of the Lord's return will come unexpectedly, like a thief in the night