Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Cap City Half Marathon

Three months of training really paid off when I sprinted across the finish line feeling strong with a time of 2:04:21. My goal had been 2:15, so I was very happy to come in nine minutes faster. I prayed all week that the rain in the forecast would not be a downpour. "Just let it be a mist or light sprinkling," I asked God. He did way better than that. The morning could not have been more perfect. It was cloudy, cool, and totally dry!

Michael dropped me off a few blocks from the starting line at 7:30 a.m. and headed to find a place to watch me near the halfway point. After a little warm-up and stretching, I entered my assigned corral and waited. We were released by corral starting with group A right at 8:00. By the time I crossed the start line (with corral D), it was about 8:07.

I didn't bring my iPod/Nike+ device for fear of rain, and I was a fool who didn't think to use the timing feature on my watch. Instead, my plan was simply to look at the clock at every mile marker and make it my goal to reach the next mile marker in 10 minutes or less. Following that plan should have guaranteed I would finish in 2:15 or better. The first mile went by in a flash, and I think I passed by the third mile marker after only 26ish minutes. Mile four was slow though and took the full 10 minutes. After that, I think I steadied my pace (my average was 9'30). The beginning of the course wound north along Olentangy River Road where there isn't much to see except lots of trees, but I love anything that feels like running in nature, so I enjoyed it. We crossed over Lane Ave. and through the OSU campus area to come back down High St. I enjoyed getting to check out the different restaurants and stores that I usually drive by too quickly to see.

I knew Michael was going to be somewhere around mile 6 or 7, but I wasn't sure where. Just after a refueling station, where I spilled more of the Gatorade down my chin than I swallowed, I decided to lift my shirt to wipe my face. As I brought it down, I heard Michael shout my name and looked up to see him aiming a camera my direction. I laughed out loud and hoped he didn't get a picture of my less than classy moment. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...

Around mile 7 (not my cup on the ground- I always try to get mine in the trash)
When the route passed south of the Short North, we jogged east for a bit and then headed back south, eventually making our way across the German Village before turning north and heading back up High Street through downtown. I unexpectedly passed a friend around mile 10 and jogged with her for a few minutes as we chatted and encouraged each other. There was a slight incline near the end where I almost wanted to walk, but I had come so far and was making such good time that I decided to just push through. About that same time, a song we sang in the Easter choir suddenly popped into my head: "Victory in Jesus." It was so appropriate as I closed in on the last mile. Often times I use running as a time to pray, reflect, and commune with God, and I've been ruminating lately on the idea of running as a spiritual discipline (I'll probably post about this eventually). For sure, it offers ample metaphors for the spiritual life; as in so many other ways, I relied on God to give me the strength to keep going and finish the race. He did, and I did.



at the finish line

Totally meant to stand under that sign!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

awesome amber!! loved reading this. congrats :) (i ran with the Easter soundtrack a few times ;)

Jess said...

You look so beautiful running friend!! Can't wait for the spiritual discipline post!!