Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Random Thoughts

Today, I decided to write down random thoughts as they came to me. My day started at 4:30am when my alarm went off. I had to be at Gap at 6am to start work today. The first random thought hit me on the subway ride to work. The car was really full for the early hour, but as I looked around, I noticed everyone was male. I looked as far down the car as I could see, and I only saw one other female. I guess it's usually all the men who have to work that crazy early. I wondered what they all did.

Random thought #2: I hate when people mumble too much. A person I work with mumbles everything she says, so I catch less than half of it. It's so annoying!

Random thought #3: I also don't like it when I say "hi" to a customer, and he/she doesn't respond. I understand when they have earphones in or can't hear me, but sometimes people just ignore me. How rude!

Random thought #4: I am oblivious to famous people. I'll never see someone famous in this city unless someone else points them out. A week-ish ago, my friend Rachel pointed out Diddy (aka P. Diddy) just after we walked past him. I practically brushed his shoulder, but all I saw was his back after Rachel said something. Then last night my roommate Sharn told me that we just walked by Michael Showalter, and I didn't notice him either. I don't know if I would have recognized him though, since he's familiar but not that well known. Laura also thinks we saw John Glover (Lionel Luthor in Smallville) at Trader Joe's, but I didn't get close enough to be able to say for 100%.

Random thought #5: How do people not know what size underwear they wear? I am regularly asked by customers what size underwear I think they would wear. How? How do they not know? There are only 5 options! It is probably the same size you are in anything else that comes in small, medium or large! Come on, people.

Random thought #6: Another question I get all the time at work is "Would I wear this for sleeping or for going out?" See, I work in GapBody which sells bras, underwear, sleepwear and loungewear. If you want to walk around the city in pj's, or comfy t-shirts, or tank tops or casual knit shorts, why should it matter whether I think it's okay or not?

Random thought #7: A song that comes on every time I work has the following lyrics: "I'm not unfaithful, but I'll stray." Isn't straying being unfaithful? How does this make any sense? It reminds me of another song by Rihanna. "and i know that he knows i'm unfaithful
and it kills him inside... i don't wanna be the reason why... i don't wanna be...
a murderer." This also doesn't make sense. If you don't want to hurt him, break it off or STOP FREAKING CHEATING!!!! I know these are just songs, but does anyone actually listen to these lyrics? They're crazy!

Random thought #8: Working for 11 hours sucks. I had to stay until 5pm today instead of the 3pm that I was scheduled until because some people from corporate were coming for a visit. We had to make the store look perfect and be on our best behavior. It somehow also meant that my managers needed me until the bigwigs left. I was quite tired, but kept up my happy face :-) So glad I have tomorrow off.

Random thought #9: These thoughts seem more negative than one might expect from me, but oh well.

4 comments:

:)Wendy said...

You made me laugh. LOOK Amber is human! Love you, :)mom

Anonymous said...

Yes! I loved this post! And next time I''m in the Gap, I'll be sure to ask the salesperson what size underwear they think I wear...and then be shocked when the give me the answer. And then I will storm out of the the store and find a subway with mostly male passengers and then I will see someone famous and not even know it. I will do all of these things just to be closer to you.

Krista said...

I'm a big fan of your posting of random thoughts. And I'm glad you're not certain you saw Lionel, because then I'd have to be jealous.

MarcB said...

#5 just say "oh we don't carry xxl"
#7 I'm with ya on the songs. There is one that is kinda a love song and says something to the effect that your like a tattoo and i'm stuck with you forever. or the one that says i love you like a child loves his blanket? aka i'll grow up eventually? I don't understand how that is romantic.