Sunday, March 14, 2010

A busy barista

I have so much to share from the last week and a half.

I've been wanting a second job since subbing can be irregular, so I applied around town and found one at Target. I went in for an interview on Wednesday, March 3rd, was hired that day, and went to orientation on Thursday. I trained as a cashier on Friday night and spent the rest of the week training at Starbucks, which is where I will mostly be working. That's right, I'm finally a barista ;) It's been a whirlwind of a week since then as I still took several sub jobs, tried to keep up with marathon training, and prepared for out-of-town guests who came this weekend.

I knew I needed to be flexible this week. On Monday, I subbed and then worked at Starbucks until 9:30pm, but I was committed to fitting in a run, so I went out for 2 miles when I got home that night. I decided to go for 4 miles on Tuesday to make up for it, and since I only subbed and was free that afternoon, it worked out well. On Wednesday, I had the morning free, so I went for the scheduled 4 mile run and then worked a 4-9:30 shift at Starbucks. I was pretty tired and sore (especially since I haven't gotten around to getting those new shoes I need), but I was happy with myself for staying dedicated. I worked both jobs on Thursday, but on Friday I only subbed in the morning. Since I knew my friends would be arriving on Friday evening, I moved my long run up a day. I spent some time in the afternoon shopping and cleaning the house in preparation. By the time I got out for my run, I was worried that I wouldn't be back before my friends arrived, so I cut it a little short, not by too much though (7.3 miles instead of 8). It was really tough only having the one rest day, but I survived and learned that flexibility and mental will power will be key to getting through this program. Positive self-talk is SO important to accomplishing anything in life. It's like that poster I see in so many classrooms: Whether you think you can or can't, you're right.

My training schedule was supposed to be
Monday 4 miles
Tuesday 2 miles
Wednesday 4 miles
Thursday off
Friday off
Saturday 8 miles

My actual runs
Monday 2 miles
Tuesday 4 miles
Wednesday 4 miles
Thursday off
Friday 7.3 miles
Saturday off

With all my running out of the way, I was free to enjoy the weekend. Four of my old roommates from New York drove out to visit Michael and me. We took them to Columbus' famous Schmidt's Sausage Haus in the German Village for dinner Friday night. We had good food and a great time. We ordered three of their acclaimed cream puffs to go, as we couldn't pass them up but were too stuffed to eat them then. On Saturday morning we went to the North Market to walk around and ate breakfast at Taste from Belgium (mmm, yummy waffles!). Since it was a gloomy, rainy day, Michael and I decided to take our guests to the Franklin Park Conservatory as we heard it was a good rainy day activity. In addition to the beautiful plants and indoor landscaping, they have a great collection of Chihuly artwork throughout the conservatory, and we really enjoyed the outing.

I unfortunately had to work a six hour closing shift Saturday night, so Michael played host alone. They went to see Alice in Wonderland, ate an Irish meal in downtown Dublin, and enjoyed Jeni's ice cream for dessert. I don't know how it happened or who decided it would be a good idea, but after only four training shifts under my belt, I was left alone from 5:30 to close on a busy Saturday night. I don't think I messed up anybody's drinks, and I think I cleaned everything the way I was supposed to before I left, which is the most they can probably expect from me at this point.

Sunday morning, we just took a walk down to the Olentangy river (about a mile from our house) with Polo, and then finally enjoyed those cream puffs before everyone piled back in the car to drive back to the city. Despite the fact that the week may seem hectic, I loved it. I really like the new job and was thrilled to spend some time with great friends.

No comments: