Thursday, March 4, 2010

Road running, traffic, and snow

Ever since my favorite running paths were covered with more than six inches of snow, I've been forced to stick to the roads. I looked for and found a few roads that get plowed yet have minimal traffic. Since there is still too much snow and slush on the unshoveled sidewalks (come on, neighbors!) for my taste, I sometimes have to share the roads with cars. I read recently on a running website that runners should go against the flow of traffic for safety reasons. I actually like this better because it keeps Polo on my left side and keeps me between him and any cars. I also get to wave to the drivers, which I see as my way of saying "Hi there, thanks for sharing the road and not running into me and my dog."

The snow is melting though. Yay! The streets are all clear now and most of the sidewalks are okay, but paths in the closest parks are still covered. The forecast is for warmer temperatures (40's) for the next week, so hopefully, the last of the snow will be gone soon.

No comments: