Monday, April 11, 2011

A Proverbial Lesson

When I'm not sure what to read next in my Bible, I use an old standard: read the proverb of the day. There are 30 chapters in Proverbs, so there is one for every day of the month (except that pesky 31st day when it comes around). Recently, I thought it would be a good idea to divide each chapter into twelve segments so that each month there is a specific few verses where I can camp out and focus my thoughts. Here's where that brought me on April 6th:

9 How long will you lie there, you sluggard?
When will you get up from your sleep?

10 A little sleep, a little slumber,

a little folding of the hands to rest—

11 and poverty will come on you like a thief

and scarcity like an armed man.


For where I am in life right now, I found this very convicting. God has really blessed me with work this school year, and I have had a sub job nearly every day. I have even been fortunate enough to know about most of them at least a day in advance. Nevertheless, there are those few select nights when I climb into bed not knowing if I'll get a call the next morning for work or not. At those times, I am always tempted to turn my phone off, not set an alarm, and just take the day off. I find it so difficult to get up at 5:40am and start getting ready with the hope that my phone rings. Proverbs 6:9-11 is a good reminder to me that God values our hard work. Our work provides food, shelter, and clothing. Work also keeps us from becoming lazy. It is a blessing to be able to put the gifts and talents God has given me to use, and I will try to remember these verses on those dreadful, jobless nights.

1 comment:

Ljenks01 said...

I'm so encouraged by your transparency. I begin to get the same feeling about completing my assignments for my master's class. I think "I can just slack off on this assignment, how much will it bring my grade down?". Thanks for reminding me that in everything we do, we should be excellent!