Friday, April 8, 2011

A Roommate's Influence

Since moving out of my mom's house at the age of eighteen, I've had sixteen roommates (not including summer projects). While anyone can tell you that living with a roommate can be a great learning and growth experience, what I've noticed is that many of the things I think, do, or like I do so because of a roommate's influence. I thought it would be fun to take a trip down memory lane and see just what kind of an impact they've had on me. Because of roommates, I:

  • know how to stretch my pants before I put them in the dryer so they don't shrink
  • think being a vegetarian is a good thing
  • know how to fold fitted sheets
  • believe that Democrats and Republicans can actually live together and get along (and Christians and atheists for that matter ;-)
  • have seen every episode of Buffy & Angel more than once and can sing along to the musical episode
  • own all available seasons of Friends & Bones and know that getting a random quote via text can brighten my day
  • value getting up a little earlier to read my Bible and pray
  • realize that "eye, pirate, snake" can also mean I.R.S. 
  • am aware that one way to conserve water is to follow the motto "If it's yellow, let it mellow; if it's brown, flush it down."
  • am still watching Smallville in its 10th and final season
  • wrap my sandwich in a paper towel before I put it in a sandwich bag so that I always have a napkin
  • can play scales on the piano
  • know that I love bulgogi and Chapagetti but not kimchi (I also know that kimchi is SUPPOSED to smell and should not get thrown out just because it stinks)
  • can find my pulse on my wrist (seriously could not do this before)
  • can tolerate watching Project Runway. No wait, I still can't do that
  • am hooked on Grey's Anatomy
  • know what the Millennium Falcon is
  • believe Arrested Development should have had more than three seasons
  • can't eat a candy cane without evaluating whether or not the curved part really does taste different
  • think every trip to Disneyland should include as many silly hat pictures as possible
These are just a sampling of the infinite ways that I am different because of all my wonderful roommates. Thank you all for making me such a TV junkie! Really though, I am so thankful for each and every one of you who have put up with my idiosyncrasies and chore charts and helped make me who I am today. I dedicate this post to you.

Jackie, Jenna, Leah, Tracey, Krista, Beth, Katie, Melissa, Tania, Celia, Laura, Dustin, Mark, and Sharn - I love you all! 

3 comments:

Katie said...

haha, this was fun to read through :) I think you have influenced me to have a weekly cleaning routine and to continue to comfy stew tradition someday!

Sharn said...

Aw, love you too! I still enjoy telling people the story of how you mistakenly threw out Celia's kimchi. Good times.

Celia said...

I love this! And of course, you've had such a HUGE influence on me, too! "Mmm with the stuck-stuck" and also how you'd keep a pb&j sandwich in your purse in case you came across a hungry person. Won't you and Mike be our roommates this year? We have a room available in June! :)

I'll even introduce you to non-spicy kimchi to boot!