Saturday, January 28, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

Just when so many people are ready to give up on their New Year's resolutions*, I figure it is a good time to share mine. It is a fairly well known fact that writing down one's goals greatly increases the likelihood of achieving those goals. In 2011, I wrote down three resolutions and kept two of them. For 2012, I figured I would not only write them down but also share them with you in the hopes of increasing my success rate to 100%. Last year's goals were all health and fitness related, but this year I wanted to expand into other areas of my life as well. After some thought, I came up with the following four resolutions:

1. Memorize 26 verses of scripture 
The psalmist says, "I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you" (Psalm 119:11). Memorizing God's Word is not only helpful in battling sin, but as Chuck Swindoll wrote, “No other single exercise pays greater spiritual dividends! Your prayer life will be strengthened. Your witnessing will be sharper and much more effective. Your attitudes and outlook will begin to change. Your mind will become alert and observant. Your confidence and assurance will be enhanced. Your faith will be solidified” (Growing Strong in the Seasons of Life [Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1994], p. 61). At first I wanted to memorize one scripture verse a week, but I thought that was an unrealistic goal for myself (knowing me). I decided on one every other week instead. This may not seem like much, but it is a big step from the zero verses I have memorized in the last several years.

2. Run 500 miles
Last year's running goal was to complete a half marathon in 2:15, and I ran the Cap City half in May in 2:04. Because of the pregnancy, I did not think focusing on time would be a good idea this year, so I made a distance goal instead. Five hundred miles averages out to 9.6 miles per week. I have decided that during the later stages of pregnancy and in the first few weeks after giving birth, I will count miles walked as a way to stay motivated and moving even if I can't keep up a running pace. I also hope to train for the Columbus half marathon in October, which will help get my mileage back up, but I will only be concerned with finishing not time.

3. Lose the baby weight
I don't know how much weight I will end up gaining by the time the baby comes, but I hope to keep it to the recommended 25-35 pounds. I will have seven months then to work off whatever is left after the little guy is born. I think this seems a reasonable goal and time frame.

4. Read 40 books
Last year I read 49 books (without a goal in mind), but I don't know how having a newborn in the house and being a new mom will affect how much time I have to read. I also really, really hope to be in a full-time teaching position in the fall, which would naturally take up quite a bit of my time. With those things in mind, I figure I will not read as much as I did last year, but I would still like to keep my goal high and push myself to find the time for myself and one of my favorite pastimes.

*actually, January 17th is apparently the time to give up on resolutions as it is Ditch New Year's Resolutions Day

No comments: