Tuesday, October 7, 2008

"Where I Work" or "The Flatiron Building"

"For more than a century, New York City's famous Flatiron Building has occupied a piece of curiously-sized real estate at 175 Fifth Avenue, sitting on a small triangular island at 23rd St. and Broadway, facing Madison Square. Macmillan is currently in the process of renovating some of the Flatiron’s floors in the process of taking over the entire building. The Flatiron’s interior is known for having its strangely-shaped offices with walls that cut through at an angle on their way to the skyscraper’s famous point. These “point” offices are the most coveted and feature amazing northern views that look directly upon another famous Manhattan landmark, the Empire State Building." - http://us.macmillan.com/splash/about/index.html

I am a Sales Assistant at Macmillan. I work in corporate and premium sales in the special markets department, which means I handle customer service and process orders for groups like NPR and PBS among others. I also handle certain author events, which is cool. As my roommate puts it, working in the Flatiron Building is "kind of a big deal." It's funny seeing tourists try to get in past the security. They don't always realize that it's not like the Empire State Building; there is no observation deck, and tourists aren't allowed in. We don't have a nice cafeteria like Random House has, and our elevators are slow, but I love the view out my window and the park across the street.


photo courtesy of eikongraphia, modified by me ;-)
Flatiron building around the time it was built, courtesy of allposters.com.

Dustin (my roommate who works at Macmillan with me) and I eat lunch out here on nice days. The city just recently put all these tables and seating areas along Broadway. We benefit from this as one side of the FIB is on Broadway. Check out the awesome view of the Empire State Building.


The view standing on Broadway

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm officially jealous. You have a window in a cool looking building and you eat lunch on what looks like a movie set...Hmm.