Saturday, November 1, 2008

Smelly knowledge

Two things:
1. Admire the irony that I am posting this quote on a blog
2. Forgive me for indulging in watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I was watching an episode from season one of Buffy, "I, Robot... You, Jane," and I really liked this conversation about books vs. computers. Jenny Calendar is the computer teacher, and Rupert Giles is the librarian.

Jenny Calendar
: Honestly, what is it about them that bothers you so much?
Giles: The smell.
Jenny Calendar: Computers don't smell, Rupert.
Giles: I know. Smell is the most powerful trigger to the memory there is. A certain flower, or a whiff of smoke can bring up experiences long forgotten. Books smell musty and rich. The knowledge gained from a computer is a - it, uh, it has no texture, no context. It's-it's there and then it's gone. If it's to last, then the getting of knowledge should be, uh, tangible, it should be, um, smelly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Amber, you and your weird tv shows...

:)Wendy said...

Life should be smelly...
childhood memories tied to the smell of Old Spice, the Wonderbread Bakery and worms after a rain.

Remember the smell of the caldo in Barcena?