Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Day 1 and 2 at the house

Little by little, we're making our way into our new home. Movers were supposed to arrive at 8am on Monday to get the last of the former residents' stuff. I drove over around 1pm with a carload of boxes thinking I would have the house to myself. Low and behold, there was a mix-up with the movers, so Mr. FR (former resident) and his daughter (little FR) were still there waiting. As eager as I was to get going on the house, I tried to be understanding of their situation. Little FR made it easy. She reminded me of a brunette Dakota Fanning at 8-years-old, telling me in a very grown up way all about her new room at the new house and how she was tired of the old room with its bright purple walls and painted dragonflies. (Don't worry, little FR, we'll paint over them soon!) I left the boxes in the garage and headed back to the apartment as I felt awkward hovering. I drove back around 4 and saw the moving van in the driveway, so I kept driving to a nearby park and waited another hour. By the time I was alone at the house, I only had ten minutes before Michael would be home from work. All we had time to do was put our paint samples on the wall, hook up the dehumidifier, and clean the laundry room (I scrubbed the floor on my hands and knees to prepare for the washer and dryer).

The top two colors were potential grays for the kitchen. The three blues below were contenders for the family room.






Little FR left us this adorable note on our sidewalk:
On Tuesday, I got to the house about 7:30am and spent the entire day painting. We picked Porcelain Shale (Valspar) for the kitchen and Celebration Blue (Valspar) for the family room. I didn't quite finish with the blue today, so I'll be wrapping that up tomorrow.
kitchen before
kitchen after
family room before

family room (almost) after

I'd like to paint the fireplace white but haven't settled on a shade yet. More to come. I need to rest now :)

1 comment:

Ljenks01 said...

Love, love, love it. Now all we need is a picture of you sitting on the floor with a paint brush