Friday, January 11, 2008

a return to Skyline

I went back to Skyline and they threw me a party and parade. Well, kind of. I happened to be there on the same day as a pep assembly, but I did get to walk with the yearbook staff during the club walk-in. It was a great way to see as many former students and fellow teachers as possible- and way more fun than sitting through a normal day of classes. I really enjoyed catching up with old friends and sharing about my time in New York. Katie, Becca and Dustin put together a taco lunch bar, and Gabby brought delicious funfetti cupcakes :-) I even got to see baby Keane when Becca's husband Joe brought him by after school.

One thing I realized as I discussed my New York experience is that I truly am living a dream- and not just any dream... my dream. I've wanted to live in the Big Apple since I was in high school. I don't think I ever believed it would actually happen. It was just one of those things you think about abstractly. Wouldn't it be cool if...? kind of thing. And now I'm here, for two whole years. And it is exciting and full of possibilities and new friends and new experiences, which I want to make the most of while I am here. What a blessing it is that God has orchestrated the events in my life to make this time possible, without my even asking for it. In fact, three years ago my heart was set on getting married. I longed for the day when Michael might propose, but years went by and graduations went by and no proposal. But if God had allowed that prayer to be answered, I wouldn't have applied to grad school and moved away. While getting married remains a desire of my heart, God found a way to also grant me the wish to live in New York before I settle down.

We plan, God laughs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww! It's true that you have your whole life to be married, and there are just some things you need to do before you take that leap. It was so fun seeing you!!

Quadfire said...

First Post, I feel so special :-)

R said...

You have an excellent attitude, Amber! Thanks for the heads up on MySpace about your new blog!