Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Weekend of Service

I had a very busy weekend. On Friday night, I went to see a performance of The Vagina Monologues because my former roommate was performing as the narrator. I enjoyed it more than I thought it would and felt much less awkward than I thought I would. On Saturday morning, my fellowship group and I went to a church in Brooklyn to serve breakfast to homeless and needy people. We had a great time sharing in the joy of a hot meal with men, women and children from the neighborhood. One 75 year old woman even showed us her dance moves as she tried to teach one of us the Samba and sang show tunes. She was fabulous!

I spent four hours Saturday afternoon locked away in the NYU library working on my capstone project, which is basically a business plan for a publishing venture that I am supposed to present to a mock panel of venture capitalists in order to get my Masters degree.

On Sunday morning it was back to volunteering as my roommate and I spent the morning in the church nursery. She worked in the 3-year old class, and I got to be with the newborns. It's been a while since I spent time with kids, and I cherished getting to hold and play with the babies. Since we missed our normal service time by being in the nursery, we went to the evening service where we also volunteered with more people from our fellowship group as ushers.

Busy, but a weekend well spent.

1 comment:

Tania said...

I like how you went from the Vagina Monologues to a church filled weekend :)

The nursery story is the cutest thing I've ever heard!